Crispy Roast Potato Cheat Sheet
Crispy roast potato, the dream of so many however few can perfect these tiny morsels of heaven…..until now!
The humble roast potato has been dealt an extremely harsh blow by society and the media. Rich in fueling carbohydrates, vitamin B6, potassium and other trace elements white potatoes can be a powerful ally in your nutrition arsenal. The fact is, white potatoes and their inherent carbohydrate content need not be feared. After all, any carbohydrate source suffer the same fate of being broken down from starch molecules to simple sugars.
Then there lies the debate regarding their high glycemic index. Whilst this is true, you could use this to your advantage to enhance recovery from your intense training sessions. Imagine that late afternoon training session followed by a baked dinner with the perfect roast potatoes being guilt free.
We guarantee this recipe will work a treat to give you the ultimate crispy roast potato, every single time!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2kg Baby Red Skinned White Potatoes
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160ºC fan force
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Put them in a bowl under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.
- Cover the potatoes with water in a large saucepan then add the garlic and rosemary, if using, and bring to the boil.
- Cook for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft and almost breaking apart.
- Drain carefully and leave to cool in the colander.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil to a roasting pan, and mix potatoes in the oil ensuring a good coverage on each potato
- Place the tray back in the oven for at least 75 minutes turning the potatoes gently every 20 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy all over.
- Drain on kitchen paper and season with pink salt.
- Enjoy! Crispy roast potato, every time!
For more information on how this, or any of our other recipes can fit into your customised nutrition plan developed by our experienced team of dietitians, book a consultation today!